PDA

View Full Version : Time To Do Some Scales

Dick Allgire
2006-Apr-25 Tue, 22:49
In 1973 I was a fairly audacious young college student and rock fan. A famous rock band came to town and was scheduled to play that night in the local arena. The afternoon before the show my friends and I found a back door that wasn’t secured and snuck into the arena to check things out. It may or may not have been trespassing, but we made it inside, and amazingly no one challenged us. The stage was being erected and the roadies were setting up chairs on the vast arena floor. No one bothered us. This was 1973 and security wasn’t quite what it is today.

Members of the band eventually came out on stage to do a sound check, as stagehands and heavy lifters finished setting things up. Our “sneak and peak” was rewarded with a private concert as the band tested the sound system. We were thrilled.

Then the lead guitar player, one of the greatest rock musicians in history walked down off the stage and carried his guitar to a folding chair on one of the side risers- alone and apart from everyone else. He sat down with his Stratocaster and began plunking away. The guitar was not amplified, so we could not hear a note. One of my friends said, “Hey Dick, here’s your chance. Go talk to him.” I hesitated, but my friends egged me on, and eventually I walked up to my hero and watched him play his Strat. The sound of the unamplified strings was lost in the cavernous arena. He didn’t notice me. His fingers just kept dancing up and down his guitar. As I admired the grace and quickness of his fingers on the frets I realized that he was playing scales. Being a guitar player myself I had spent some time with a book practicing Andres Segovia’s Diatonic Major and Minor Scales. (Not enough.)

Jerry Garcia was spending his afternoon alone on a folding chair practicing scales.

Here was a virtuoso guitar player, a legend, a Rock Star- sitting there totally absorbed with the most mundane and tedious practice. Up and down the neck, diatonic major and minor scales.

That night elements of those same diatonic major and minor scales blew out of his amplifier like a psychic tornado of notes. Those same notes were rearranged and played in a spontaneous and meaningful context that swirled around the arena, smacked the back walls and echoed back with an emotional clarity that sent shivers up and down our spines. As a player it was interesting to see how the scales from the afternoon came alive that night. What happened in the concert could not have happened without the tedious practice.

The point is, even the best have to practice. Frank Sinatra said he did vocal exercises every day. Great baseball players come to the park early and stay late working out in the batting cages.

There appears to be a lack of work on validation targets in the RV world today. I’m not pointing fingers just at other groups or other viewers. This laziness and avoidance of doing practice and validation targets has unfortunately taken root here at HRVG and I admit I’m guilty myself.

We’ve got to keep our skills sharp, so we’ll be ready when there is an important operational target that must be worked. We also need to continue to validate remote viewing, and that can only be done by working blind on known, provable targets.

Time to do some scales.

Targeteer
2006-Apr-27 Thu, 00:54
So elegantly said Dick. Sheesh you'd think you were a writer or something ;-)

We've dropped the ball. Having the targeting system down has not helped. I'll post some validation targets on the board tomorrow. One is up now, however I only received 2 requests for feedback.

To all viewers looking to train we will have a new targeting system up soon so we do not let this happen again.

Targeteer
2006-Apr-27 Thu, 00:54
So elegantly said Dick. Sheesh you'd think you were a writer or something ;-)

We've dropped the ball. Having the targeting system down has not helped. I'll post some validation targets on the board tomorrow. One is up now, however I only received 2 requests for feedback.

To all viewers looking to train we will have a new targeting system up soon so we do not let this happen again.

J.P.
2006-Apr-27 Thu, 07:19
Hey Dick,
In the mean time.... tell us a few stories about when you went fishing with Jerry.

J.P.