PDA

View Full Version : Men Who Stare At Goats Documentary Scenes

Dick Allgire
2009-Sep-23 Wed, 18:46
Men Who Stare At Goats Documentary

A Los Angeles production company sent a crew to Honolulu to interview Glenn Wheaton today in conjunction with the release of the movie “Men Who Stare At Goats.” They will be producing a documentary about the true story behind the movie, as well as “extra scenes” to be released with the Blue Ray home version of the movie.

“The Men Who Stare At Goats” is about the U.S. Army Project Jedi (turning Green Berets into super soldiers) as well as Lt. Col. Jim Channon’s conceptual “Earth First Battalion.” One of the main characters in the movie, played by George Clooney, is based on Glenn Wheaton.

Today Debra’s house was turned into a studio as the production crew brought in lights and state of the art camera equipment to conduct a lengthy interview with Glenn.

It was an interesting discussion and will be a great addition to the DVD release of the movie. Glenn shared a lot of never-before-told, inside stories about the goat incident and Green Beret Jedi training. And I think the documentary will be much closer to the truth than the movie.

I’m posting some photos from the production today.

Aloha,
Dick

Dick Allgire
2009-Sep-23 Wed, 18:48
Some more pictures as the production team interviewed Glenn for the movie release and upcoming documentary.

Dick Allgire
2009-Sep-24 Thu, 17:23
This is a wide shot with marginal audio, not what was video taped for the production in Hi Def. This was my own camera getting some footage of the taping..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XrAaTaGKys

Michele
2009-Sep-25 Fri, 08:29
Can you recheck the link? The one posted is not taking me there

joanie
2009-Oct-13 Tue, 13:06
I appreciate all the discussion about the Goats film and thanks for links to Colbert and the documentary that is also being created. Hope you don't mind but I've also been passing on the info you've shared here with Lyn's CRV group.

I just want to add that it appears (at least seems obvious to me) that the Clooney character in Goats is also based, in part, on Lyn Buchanan. The character's name is Lyn, for one thing. Also Clooney's exaggerated mustache is remarkably similar to Lyn Buchanan's - take a look at Lyn in this photo and compare it to how Clooney looks:

http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/2009/09/governments-remote-viewing-cult/

Not to in any way steal thunder from Glenn's role in the film, but I think it's also a good bet to assume that the character might well be an amalgam of different players in the history of RV, with Glenn's story forming the meat and bones background for the Clooney character.

Just a few thoughts...

I'm very excited about the movie.
Joanie

Dick Allgire
2009-Oct-13 Tue, 15:17
Joanie,

When you see the movie, watch for a disclaimer at the end of the film. George Clooney insisted it be used. It states very clearly that the character is based on Glenn Wheaton.

Dick

Dick Allgire
2009-Oct-13 Tue, 19:38
Not to in any way steal thunder from Glenn's role in the film, but I think it's also a good bet to assume that the character might well be an amalgam of different players in the history of RV, with Glenn's story forming the meat and bones background for the Clooney character.

Joanie

Joanie,
Glenn had to sign a release to allow this disclaimer, which will be included in the film credits:

"Although this film is inspired by Jon Ronson's book The Men Who Stare at Goats, it is a fiction, and while the characters Lynn Cassady and Bill Django are based on actual persons, Sergeant Glenn Wheaton and Colonel Jim Channon, all other characters are invented or are composites and are not portrayals of actual persons."

Lynn Cassady is based on Sgt. Glenn Wheaton.

Dick

joanie
2009-Oct-14 Wed, 03:03
Well I'll be darned! Thanks for that bit of reality check Dick! Good to know. I'll report back to CRV on it... ~ Joanie

Glenn B. Wheaton
2009-Oct-15 Thu, 01:15
Wow,

Lyn would make the 4th person in recent months to claim the Clooney character, 2 Army Colonels, a wacky civilian named Savelli, and now Lyn?

This movie is about popcorn and fun and not about glory or prestige. Jim Channon and I will both be in the extras on the DVD and BluRay. As far as I know we are the only two named characters. In the meantime let’s just all go to the Movies.

Glenn

Michele
2009-Oct-15 Thu, 09:27
I can't wait for the movie. Is the book more representative? How did you transition from this community to where you are now?

Glenn B. Wheaton
2009-Oct-17 Sat, 02:45
Aloha Michele,

The book and the movie are two entirely different creatures. The movie is a fictional adaptation of the book. Jon Ronson who wrote the book traveled a great deal and conducted many interviews to assemble the information he presented in the book. The movie has very little to do with the non-fiction book except that certain characters and stories were recreated in a different fictional storyline. With such a unique list of possible stories that could be derived from the book to make the movie the screenwriter must have had a blast. It is a bit strange that so much from the book could be in the movie and go unrecognized. Regardless it should be a good movie.

In 1993 I had a choice of retiring or going back to NSA. My career manager told me I had been in SF way too long and needed to go back to a strategic assignment. I opted to retire. I did not really want to go back to the Puzzle Palace. I hate the DC area and although I liked Ft. Meade I just wanted to find another island. I attended a job fair in Okinawa before I retired and was picked up by Leblanc Communications (A Canadian company) and they moved me to Hawaii where I did a lot of antenna and tower work for several years. Communications has always been my specialty so I was pretty happy. When the Canucks left Hawaii I picked up some contracts in Hawaii for 2 companies out of Texas and one company out of Florida. Along the way I started the Guild along with Philip Lau and Yaana Alin and we began to push the first civilians through the protocols.

I think it is important to remember the 60’s and the 70’s because it was those years that shaped the general mindset that allowed us to play with remote viewing and other types of strangeness. Believe it or not the draft brought us the hippies and along with them their beliefs and interest in some pretty fuzzy concepts. I know quite a few vets who were drafted as hippies and made the transition to professional career soldiers. As you know the military life kinda grows on you. For me I was not a hippie but a martial artist. Concepts like those found in QI Qong always fascinated me and when I first met Michael Echanis in the early 70’s he was certainly the best fighter and mind master that I ever met. When Michael killed the goat it was like I had witnessed real magic for the first time. Of all the stories in books about sorcerers and mages that one might commune with, here was a real human who had learned to externalize enough unseen forces about him to cause the goat’s heart to rupture. I did not lament the goat at the time because we spent so much time training to be better killers that it seemed a necessary thing. We needed to see that it could be done. Once seen we had to adjust our view of what the human could really do if their mind was right. It does not imply that we must be the destroyer but enlightens us to realize that we could learn to be what we needed to be. It gave us wisdom that each of us processed as our natures allowed. Human potential is all about belief and purpose. Belief and purpose shape our reality and becomes a path of sorts that we follow until we decide to shift things about. I think that is called life.

I liked the script not because of any of the clichés or giggles but because the screenwriter discovered how to let you see someone change what they believe. Ewan McGregor’s character does not have any choice when confronted with the obvious strangeness of the Clooney character. He cannot rationalize Clooney’s beliefs until he embraces them and they become his own. That is what I want you to see. That old Army Slogan of “Be all you can be” doesn’t work if you don’t know what you can be.

Glenn