PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Samoa

Dick Allgire
2009-Oct-02 Fri, 07:59
Just back from covering the death and destruction of the Tsunami that hit Samoa this week. Three days no sleep, little food, constant stress and deadline pressure.

I think some of my reports will be up on the internet at the KITV website:
www.kitv.com

I'll have more to post after I get cleaned up and rested and fed. I have some photos. Samoa is a very beautiful island, really walloped by the big wave. They had no chance. An 8.3 earthquake and the Tsunami then hit with no time for warning.

The most amazing thing I saw: A school bus full of children swept out to sea by one wave, then knocked back in. The kids got out, only to be hit by another massive wave. Somehow they all survived. But a school bus was basically thrown around like a bathtub toy.

I gotta sleep...

Dickk

Dick Allgire
2009-Oct-02 Fri, 18:28
A beautiful south pacific island, and a shot of a boat deposited on the pier by the tsunami.

Wodin
2009-Oct-02 Fri, 19:50
Welcome back Dick, sorry you had a rough trip!

I was wondering why you didn't answer my email untill I heard Rick Hamada say you were in Samoa!

Rest up, we'll chat later.

Glenn B. Wheaton
2009-Oct-02 Fri, 21:33
I was able to catch your reports on the evening news, I think you did a great job down there. I am sorry the circumstances were so dire. Some years ago I worked on the telcom tower there and found the island very beautiful and the people were wonderful. The event was not preventable and I think all of us in the islands out here are at a certain amount of risk. I can't imagine what we would do here with only a few minutes to find higher ground. Yikes!!

Glenn

Michele
2009-Oct-03 Sat, 07:53
For me, it brings the importance of the Multiple Universes project to bear with anguishing frustration.

It has always been the foundation of my fascination for 'potential futures' whether you call them parallel universes or precognition or whatever label you are most comfortable hanging on it.

What good is it to see the future if you cannot change it. While it would not be a good idea to prevent it, we could minimize the loss of human life and property.

The weather needs to be left alone of course. Tragic as it may be, hurricanes and Tsumani's are natures way of moving large amounts of sand from the bottom of the ocean to beaches that are often eroding away. There is a purpose for all things in this world and we must respect that. But, if we could posture just a little bit, perhaps we could cull some of the tragedy.