PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Down Techniques

Coen
2010-Jul-19 Mon, 12:15
I'd like to hear your methods for cooling down. I read in the Coast to Coast interview with Dick up on the website that there is an HRVG thread somewhere about this. Does anyone have a link? I admit I didn't search for it.

Anyway, this morning I tried something new. Last night I readied my RV setup and made sure everything was ready to go the next morning. Paper, pen, Hematite, ear plugs, ruler. All set. Laptop with headphones and music on standby. Foldout mattress on the floor next to the table. I did push-ups till I had no more energy. The exercise along with the current weather conditions, my face was glowing and blood and adrenaline rushing. I drank my Special Gunpowder (Chinese tea) and went outside to go jogging. A bit later I came back, was completely exhausted. I took all my jogging clothes off and lied straight away on the mattress, binaural music on that plays for half an hour.

WOW! What a difference! I already kind of knew this, but Dick's interview reminded me of it - some people simply need to work 'till they drop in order to relax. Suffice to say I got into the Alpha state quite quickly. I slipped back into higher Alpha (I mean close to Beta) when the track ended about half an hour later and commenced my session.

I submitted my session. About 20 or so minutes later, Dick had already analyzed it. 9:30AM for me, 9:30PM for him. The different cool down had a good effect on my session. I'm glad.

Curious to hear how you cool down. Please share your tips.

Dick Allgire
2010-Jul-20 Tue, 23:31
You want to get outside of your conscious mind, and project your subconscious awareness briefly. BUT, the projecting subconscious isn't an "OOHMPFFF!" squeeze your face and grimace, thrusting PROjection. It is more a suspension or displacement, where you don't really think for a moment and let something slip in the side door. Let yourself pause and turn off for a moment.

Anything that gets you tired or not thinking about here and now helps. Being tired. Not being hungry. Being CURIOUS about the target with no expectations is a big factor.

Coen
2010-Jul-21 Wed, 03:30
Being tired.
I always thought that being tired is the one thing you want to avoid at all times. Are you not supposed to be sharp and all that?

mj001jk
2010-Jul-22 Thu, 13:52
Being physically exhausted but mentally alert helps you get to Theta quicker...at least that's what I've found myself.

Jogging, pushups before viewing and a martini or three afterwards :-)

Cheers,
Jim

Michele
2010-Jul-23 Fri, 08:37
I don't do any cool down at all. My reasons for this are predicated in creative visualization techniques from years and years ago. If you set up a complicated process...then you are subtly communicating to your subconscious that 'this is going to be hard'.

The difference is better demonstrated by example. Say you have a problem you are trying to resolve. If you visualize solving the problem by tearing up a piece of paper and throwing it away...that's an easy resolution. If you visualize the problem by trying to tear up a phone book...that's a difficult resolution.

I don't want to create habits that are hard or complicated rituals. I do have a designated area and a process of purposely clearing my desk to start a session. I always put the music on as I'm puttering around clearing the area so my mind gets the signal that I am about to do a session. But, more than 10 minutes is just too much.

Dick Allgire
2010-Jul-23 Fri, 20:48
I don't do any cool down at all. My reasons for this are predicated in creative visualization techniques from years and years ago. If you set up a complicated process...then you are subtly communicating to your subconscious that 'this is going to be hard'.

The difference is better demonstrated by example. Say you have a problem you are trying to resolve. If you visualize solving the problem by tearing up a piece of paper and throwing it away...that's an easy resolution. If you visualize the problem by trying to tear up a phone book...that's a difficult resolution.

I don't want to create habits that are hard or complicated rituals. I do have a designated area and a process of purposely clearing my desk to start a session. I always put the music on as I'm puttering around clearing the area so my mind gets the signal that I am about to do a session. But, more than 10 minutes is just too much.

Michele,
That is great advice about not making this too difficult, and setting yourself up to require a huge ritual, which- if not done- will lead to failure.

All you need to do is get your mind right.

Dick

Coen
2010-Jul-29 Thu, 20:19
From what I understand, you meditate regularly. I don't, or well I didn't regularly up until now. I guess it's easier for you then, than it is for me to clear the mind.

I don't think that placing a mattress next to my table and lying on it for half an hour is over-complicating my RV, but that's just me. Thanks for the advice anyway.