PDA

View Full Version : Forum extremely slow!

Coen
2010-Jul-21 Wed, 09:45
Dave,

The forum is slow for me, REALLY slow! I don't have this with other sites. Now, it may be network congestion, applicable only to this domain because of external factors, but I want to mention it regardless.

When is the last time the database tables were optimized? You can do this in phpMyAdmin. I think this is actually what's causing this. I do the same for a forum I co-administer, with over 200,000 posts. This forum doesn't have many members, but has quite a few posts.

Hope you can fix it.

Dave Barnes
2010-Jul-25 Sun, 17:21
Are you still having problems with the speed of the Discussion Group?

The vBulletin database is in good shape, and I haven't experienced problems with the site from my system but it isn't clear what other people see. When people have issues, please feel free to write to me directly and tell me what you're seeing, what time the problem happens and what browser you're using so that I can try to follow up.

The server is virtual so it shares resources with other servers in the system. Lately when I've checked, it's running out of the Rockies. System maintenance would normally occur around 2:00 AM MST, so you may run into this periodically around 10:00 in the morning in Europe or, inconveniently, around 10:00 PM in Hawaii, but this situation should be rare.

I've been logging entry problems and it looks like some people have had to log in to the main site twice when trying to get to the discussion page. I'm looking into this and hope to have it resolved soon.

I apologize that I didn't see this message sooner! I've been a bit distracted this week.

Debra
2010-Jul-25 Sun, 20:08
Hi Dave,

I am able to access the site quickly AFTER having to log in twice with my password. I don't mind doing so if it makes the site more secure but if it is a glitch it would be nice if it was fixed!
Thanks!

Coen
2010-Jul-27 Tue, 13:29
Are you still having problems with the speed of the Discussion Group?
Yes. Still slow.

When people have issues, please feel free to write to me directly
I thought about emailing you and didn't mean to embarrass you 'publicly'. I thought this way 'in here' others could chime in and say if they experience the same thing.

I've been logging entry problems and it looks like some people have had to log in to the main site twice when trying to get to the discussion page. I'm looking into this and hope to have it resolved soon.
Yeah I get that too, but that's fine. And I always have to go through the main black entrance page, even if I save the password. Don't sweat it, it's not a problem. The speed.. kinda is. But again, no biggie.

Dave Barnes
2010-Jul-27 Tue, 19:20
Coen may have missed my point. Professionally, I'm a director at an international software company, so I'm pretty comfortable addressing these kinds of issues. I don't have a problem with the site's speed when I connect in Maryland so I need specific information from anyone who is having problems so that I can try to help them. Writing to me directly is a fast way to get my attention because I check my email much more often than I check the discussion group.

vBulletin uses very little bandwidth and we haven't deleted posts so database maintenance is minimal. Without additional information, there is nothing for me to look into.

- Do you experience speed problems after logging in?
- What aspect of the discussion group are you exercising when you experience speed problems?
- Do you see speed problems elsewhere on the site?
- Do you see speed differences at different times of the day?

I'm trying to resolve the double password entry requirement that some people are experiencing. So far, Coen is the only person who has reported an ongoing speed problem... If anyone else is seeing this, please let me know. :)

Coen
2010-Jul-28 Wed, 10:55
I will address these questions in a video recording of a browser session when I have some more time. Thanks for your help so far.