Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spoon bending

Lucid Guest

Dean Radin's comments re: spoon bending:

http://deanradin.blogspot.com/2006/0...ent-spoon.html

Lucid Guest

I left the spoons on the kitchen table, and while I was away, my brother "fixed" the pretty South Korean one:

Said it required some strength to do it, but that it wasn't too difficult. You should know, though, that my brother is a lot stronger than I am. He does physical labour on a regular basis and is used to working with his hands.

It is quite interesting that the spoon shows no signs of "stress" on the surface, it is simply malformed.

Lucid Guest

A couple of hours ago I took the above spoon and bent the handle to a kind of an S shape, with some force and without any concentration. So I started thinking maybe some residual energy had remained in the spoon. Then I took the first spoon and again quite easily made a tight loop on the handle. Hmm. Could it be that I have simply fooled myself? That is, by believing that the metal spoon is hard to bend - when in reality it isn't - my body just doesn't do it, or finds it hard. And then, when I really really intend to bend the spoon (with the help of "mental energy"), it is actually quite easy. Mind-body reflection. Now, this doesn't explain why "bending with energy" doesn't cause discomfort or leave red marks in hands, but I'm quite sure it plays a part in the phenomenon. Some (most?) bendings, like mine, may not really be anomalous at all.

Dick Allgire Guest

Default My spoon from the RV conference

A triple bend
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dick Allgire Guest

Default Another shot

I am still skeptical of this. But here is the other side of the spoon I did.

Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fortune Guest

Default Describe feeling motion?

So when the spoon starts bending is it under a study applied pressure (slight without alot of force)? Is there a point where the "feeling" of the movement changes - abruptly or is it gradual? Curious about direct experiences when the spoon bends. How would one guage the amount to pressure as it bends, as much as...itt takes to bend a large paper clip? or more. I think it would be good if there were devise that mesured that like grip strength so as to see what averages of amt of force applied might be - but then i guess the spoons themselves would need to be standardized somehow, .

It sounds like some folks are saying the utensile during the attempted bend starts oput feeling stiff resistsance then feels warer aND OR "SOFTER" THEN NOT MUCH RESISTENCE PLIABLE FOR SHORT WINDOW OF TIME , THEN FEELS HARDER AGAIN.

sO lUCID YOU ARE SAYING THAT YOU CONSIDER THERE MUIGHT BE SOME "ENTERGETIC RESIDE" ?? OR CHANGE OF STATE IN THE BENDED ONE THAT STILL EFFECTS BENDABILITY OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. ? oh noo i hit caps as i too often accidently do, please forgive i dont erase and do over.

Excuse for my laziness ..I just got back from camping in mts though i'm like the spoons maybe the heat and fatigue have me a bit soft and bendable and my fingers are loopy .. oh ok Not! grin-i think its me brain not the fingers that are twisted. Celebrating pagan holidays aint for sissies. On second think i guess it is for all . It mother nature the red ants and hot sun and steep climbs. the icy showers and hours of dancing that aint for sissies. The sun is up and i'll go crawl to the cornor shop for coffee now, I'll have a go at the plastic spoons if they got any.

LUCID Maybe just for the sake of science you should post also a picture of your well exercised brother, eh? (she said her nerdly but girlie eyelashes a flutter blink blink)

I'd like to invent a devise rather like a themonetor or dip stick to test folks to see if the have much sense of humor, or maybe something less invasive i suppose..back to drawing board.

Lucid Guest

As a clarification to my previous message, here is how I now believe spoon bending (of the type I have done) works:

1. You start out with the belief that bending loops on a relatively thick, stainless steel spoon or fork requires a lot of force and may indeed be beyond your physical ability.
    2. This false belief is further enforced by the person who is going to tell you how to do it with the help of "channeled" energy/mind power/whatever.
    3. When it is time to do the bending, your subconscious mind feeds you the sensations that you are expecting (ie. the spoon feeling softer), which enables your conscious mind and body to carry out the feat.

That is the gist of it. Power of intention, indeed. However, you are not really using any "extra" energy to do the bending, but instead just breaking the mental block that kept you from doing it in the first place.

So I also realized (once again) that you cannot really trust sensory information, since it is always (pre)processed by some unconscious/subconscious processes. There is no point in trying to subjectively "measure" the amount of force used, either.

In short, bending the handle of a spoon really does not require as much force as you *may* think (if you've bought into the "spoon bending meme"). Just go ahead and try it, if you don't mind destroying a spoon or two. Just observe the proper technique from the Youtube videos, and when you do the bending, don't be afraid to use a bit of force.

(Dean Radin's spoon with the bent bowl, though, is a different story..)